Sickness Absence Management
Everwell Occupational Health can help you reduce the disruption, loss of productivity and general management time wasted dealing with sickness absence issues. We can help to facilitate the much faster return-to-work of your employees after a spell of sickness absence than otherwise would be the case if things were left to run their own course. The early intervention of one of our highly experience Occupational Health professionals, be it an Occupational Health Advisor or an Occupational Health Physician, can produce rapid results.
A sickness absence referral can lead in many directions such as:
- Advice to employees on what they should be asking their own GP.
- Helping engage other appropriate NHS/GP services.
- Identification of real cause of the sickness absence so the route cause can be tackled (stress at work, a bad DSE set-up, manual handling issues, etc…)
- Suggest onward private consultation to other health professionals such as a physiotherapist or counsellor.
- Identify what reasonable adjustments can be made at work to allow the person to return in some capacity.
- Help with coordinating the employee rehabilitation programme.
- Devising and monitoring a return-to-work programme, phased return or similar.
Any of these directions will help tackle the absence and get the employee back quickly and safely.
Profit from Healthy Employees
Absence from work cost the UK economy £13.2 billion as the average employee took almost seven (6.7) days off sick at a cost of £100/day.
At just £100/day this estimate probably under estimates all the extra unquantifiable costs such as Management time, loss of productivity, increased overtime or contractor levels, etc..
Even at this low cost per day estimate, a quick calculation will show how the cost of absence can soon spirals upward. If we take the above figures and assume a company of 100 people then the cost at:
- 3% absence = 100 people x 8 days x £100/day = £80k per annum
- 4% absence = 100 people x 10 days x £100/day = £100k per annum
- 5% absence = 100 people x 13 days x £100/day = £130k per annum
- 6% absence = 100 people x 16 days x £100/day = £160k per annum
With higher than average absence levels the financial justification for investing in an OH service is straightforward. In the above example, if you could reduce absence by just 1% then this would generate an annual saving of circa £20k. This saving would more than pay for Everwell’s services! Likewise if you can get your employee back to work even just a week earlier than otherwise would have been the case then the saving exceeds the cost of a single adhoc Management Referral/ Occupational Health Assessment.
It is recognised within the medical profession and beyond, that early assessment, diagnosis and medical intervention aids early return-to-work! So if you are going to do something do it now, not in two or three months time!
Everwell Occupational Health is experienced in all aspects of Sickness Absence Management and we can help. Working together we can get your employees back to work quickly, productively and safely.
Contact Everwell today and start saving money.